Saturday, November 6, 2010

I scream you scream we all scream for Ice Cream!

Very impressed with my new toy so far.. Have just made my 2nd batch of icecream and now waiting very impatiently for it to set firmer in the freezer!
The first flavour Frosty insisted on (me) making.. was Butterscotch, with honeycomb bits. I made it lastnight, and I'm guessing it was just that good that when I'd gotten up this morning, it vanished sometime throughout the night...
This is the recipe I used, which I found online. Pretty simple :)
This recipe only  makes 900mls, so next time I'm going double the ingredients..


1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla essance
1 1/2 cup Pouring cream (Pauls Pure Cream I think it's called)
2 cups Light cream (equates to 1x300ml pot of thickened Light Cooking cream is what I found)
6 large egg yolks - lightly beaten. (Don't waste those egg whites either! Keep them for a Pav or meringue for lemon meringue pie!)

Prep time!
In a small saucepan on medium to low heat, stir the brown sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth, melted and a few bubbles. Then whisk in 1/2 cup pouring cream, until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In another saucepan on medium to high heat, combine the 1 cup pouring cream and the light cream and bring to a gentle simmer. Whisk half of the cream mixture into the bowl of egg yolks slowly, whisking while you pour. Then pour the egg cream mixture to the remaining saucepan of cream. Stir until mixture is thickened slightly then remove from the heat.

Pour through a fine strainer (or colander in my case!) into a clean large bowl and whisk in the butterscotch mixture. Chill for a few hours or over night until completely cold.

With your icecream machine all ready to go, dump it in and watch it turn into ice cream. 5 minutes towards the end of the icecream process, add some chopped honeycomb/crunchie bars :)


God I could just eat this as is!!


After a few hours in the deep freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment