Thursday, June 9, 2011

Practice makes perfect, right?

I decided to make a butter cake today which was quite a simple recipe I found -

3/4 cup butter softened
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour sifted
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then beat in the eggs one by one. Mix in the vanilla. Stir in the flour until mostly wet, then add the milk and beat for around 2 minutes.
Pop it into a lightly greased cake tin and into the oven at 140C for around 45 minutes or until it springs back when poked with a finger.

As with all cakes, allow it to cool before icing.. I watched MasterChef Australia lastnight and couldn't believe the stupidity of the dude trying to ice a cake that had just come out of the oven. That's like, a basic of cooking! Anywho..
Moving time forward and the cake is cool, in a large mixing bowl add 2 or 3 (ok I really didn't measure this part.. ) cups of pure icing sugar, sifted, and about 3/4 cup of butter, softened. Whip it together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy then add some vanilla essence.  Parge it on the cake, top and sides.
I got bored with the cake by this point, and found my packets of fondant in the pantry, way up the back. It's still good.. I had dreamed of making this really sweet-loving cake with pink love hearts over it, but I am limited to 2 items in the way of cookie cutters. Little "men" and a weird star-flower type shape. I chose the weird star-flower thing because I thought people might get the wrong impression if I present a cake (even if it's just photos on the internet!) covered in little blue and pink boys/girls....
Here's the result:

Not bad considering it's my 2nd attempt of playing with fondant/RegalIce.. I do enjoy it, I just.. clearly... need more practice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment