Sunday, February 12, 2012

Well then...

Isn't it ironic that, the week we decide to start eating healthy, I end up in Emergency Department for a suspected heart attack... Go figure.
Oh and to top that off, I finally wander out to check the mail after being on bed rest for a few days, to find a pamphlet in the mailbox about private hospital cover...

My heart was fine, by the way. Turns out it was a muscular issue called Costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage in / between the rib cage, or something to that effect. Causes heart attack symptoms and given my cardio history, they had to do everything they would normally do until heart attack is ruled out.

Drugged up and off my chops from morphine. 

We haven't had much chance of trying the new diet as of yet.. although weetbix for brekky every day is going well. You'd be surprised at how much weight you can actually lose just from eating breakfast - and that bit of extra walking around at work.
I was going to make the ham and broccoli frittata, but instead I turned it into a ham, ricotta cheese and spinach frittata. VERY TASTY.

Since I have been confined to bed for most of the days following my hospital scare, I haven't been well enough to eat much either. Frosty has been cooking his own dinners of spaghetti (it's now 4 or 5 days following, so I am well enough to get back into the kitchen without overdoing it.), I was feeling a bit peckish the other evening and craving soup. When I'm not well I always want mums pea and ham soup, it's EPIC. Failing that, I decided to make my own veggie soup with what we had on hand:

1 diced onion
1 clove crushed garlic
some chillis
1 diced carrot
1 diced potato
handful of broccoli diced
some shredded spinach
500ml carton of veggie stock, and 500ml water
I threw it all into a pot and let it simmer until all veggies were nice and soft, then threw in a handful or 2 of macaroni (Because I knew I needed the nutrients of the veggies, as well as something wholesome.) and let it simmer away until the pasta was cooked. I did however add too much pasta... and now it's just a pot of pasta with veggies. That's what happens when you have leftovers sit for a day I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment