Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicken parmy

So last night, I made the BEST chicken parmigana. Quite proud of myself because I also made my own tomato sauce to go on it. :D
Frostys' suggestions: Needs ham, and pineapple. I keep telling him I have never heard of a parmy with pineapple, but I'll make it for him next time.

Chicken breast fillets, butterflied and bashed flat with a flat mallet or rolling pin.
Decent crumbs, you want the lovely crunchy ones. I don't know what brand I have so I can't help you there.
1-2 eggs lightly beaten
Vegetable oil for shallow frying (or if you want to go healthy/fancy, cotton-seed oil, sunflower oil, something like that.)
Mozzarella cheese grated.

Tomato sauce:
1 Can of crushed tomatoes
1 crushed garlic clove
1 finely diced small onion (or even half of that!)
Basil and oregano
Pinch of brown sugar
Tablespoon of corn flour to thicken slightly

In a small pot lightly fry the onion and garlic until translucent then add the tomatoes, herbs, sugar and stir in the corn flour.  Simmer on low, covered, for 10 minutes then turn off.

Heat some oil in a deep frying pan, about 1 inch of oil should do it. Coat one piece of chicken in the egg then coat it in the plate of crumbs, shaking off the excess. Gently ease the chicken into the hot oil. Fry for about 5-8 minutes on one side then turn it over carefully with tongs or something.. not your hands 'cos that's just bad and silly. Chicken should be cooked and a lovely golden brown. Allow to drain on absorbent paper. Repeat these steps with any more chicken you wish to be cooking!

Move the hot chicken to a baking tray, spoon over some of the tomato sauce and top generously with mozzarella cheese, and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is lightly golden. Serve with chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment