Friday, April 27, 2012

Baked onion rings

I LOVE onion rings.. I think most sane people do.. My stomach doesn't handle large amounts of oil-soaked foods however, so I wondered how baking them would go.. Usually when I'm craving something and are broke/my driver refuses to take me out to spend more money we don't have, I'll attempt to make it (if I haven't made it previously).. it either works out better than store bought, is enough to satisfy my cravings, OR it turns out so terrible my cravings are gone for a few months. These actually turned out OK.. Definitely not the same as deep fried, but still a tasty snack/party nibble. 

You'll need 3 bowls and a plate.. and a baking tray. You can lightly oil it if you want, they don't stick anyway.
Bowl #1 - 2 lightly beaten eggs
Bowl #2 - plain flour with some pepper, cayenne pepper
Bowl #3 - bread crumbs

Slice your large onion into rings and dust them lightly in the seasoned flour. The reason for the plate is as I was flouring them, I was also setting them aside on the plate until they were all floured. This gets messy. Grab some floured onion rings, dip them in the egg, then into the bowl of crumbs, then onto the baking tray. Do this until they are all done.

Bake at 200C until lightly golden, enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. This sounds really nice.
    Might make a bunch of these and some of your chilli-tomato sauce :)

    Thanks :)

    *Pirate

    ReplyDelete